Saturday, May 12, 2012

Amish Nursery

We are lucky enough to live by the most beautiful, calming, bountiful Amish nursery. I started going there ever since I was pregnant with Emma. The owners have seen her grow and now they were happy to see her little baby sister too. This was Alexandra's first official visit to the nursery outside of my womb.

A very loving, peaceful, full of smiles and kind words family owns the nursery. They have always been so gracious to me, especially when I was pregnant. They would immediately and joyously offer to carry the produce and plants to the car for me. Always helpful and at ease, I am amazed and inspired by their being. There is so much to learn from them.

The owner of the nursery and mama of the family mentioned how big Alexandra was for her age. My husband Juan Carlos told her proudly that she was born at home. I thought to myself: "oh no! I can't believe he just did that! she probably had ten kids at home and it's not a big deal... they all have their kids at home." So I immediately asked her: "How many kids did you have at home?" and she graciously answered: "Nine and that's the best place to have them!" and we all agreed.

Emma was so happy to pick out flowers for the garden, as so was I. We already planted some marigold seeds at home, but I love marigolds so much that I had to get some that were already in full bloom. Marigolds remind me of India, of the peaceful rush of life, of temples and garlands, of women working in the flower fields and selling flowers in baskets. Having those precious flowers at home just takes me back to joyous times I was blessed enough to have in India.

I am glad that my daughters share my love of flowers and gardening. Emma loves to get into the dirt, plant seeds, water plants, smell the flowers, and pick whatever edible leaves she can get her hands on. For now Alexandra enjoys observing all the gardening activity and taking in the beauty of it all.












No comments:

Post a Comment